Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

Seattle/Alaska Trip

Day 1 - October 23, 2009

I was still half asleep when I got to the airport. So, at first I didn't realize that the guy who looked like Patton Oswalt WAS REALLY PATTON OSWALT! My exchange with him went like this...

Me: You're Patton Oswalt! I love your work! I held out my hand to shake his.
Patton Oswalt: Thanks, dude. Sorry, but I'm getting over a cold.
Me: It's cool.
Patton Oswalt walks off.

Rejected by Patton Oswalt! Awesome!

After that, I was thinking of all the smart, insightful things I could have said. Oh, well.

I then saw him again in line for security. I took this stalker-like photo:


The flight was unmemorable.

When I got to Seattle, I went to the first place that looked good for lunch. It was called ... something or other. Who cares? More importantly, they had a fine selection of not-shitty beers:


I of course got the Moose Drool. It was the best nut brown ale I've ever had.

Seattle was looking pretty much like I pictured:



The interstate is lined with evergreens, and it's like Portland, Maine mixed with Baltimore, Maryland. But unlike Baltimore, it's pretty awesome here.

I went to the Pike St Market...



...the original Starbucks (but not inside)...



...looked at Puget Sound...



...and went to Zion's Gate Records, where I bought At the Gates's Slaughter of the Soul, Katatonia's Discouraged + Brave Murder Day, and Seattle's Book of Black Earth's The Beast.

Next I went to Slim's Last Chance Chili Shack and Watering Hole. It was on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. The chili was rather good. Better than mine.

Then I went to a Western Hockey League game. (The WHL is a junior hockey league. The Thunderbirds' oldest player was born in 1989.) It was the Seattle Thunderbirds vs. the Brandon (Manitoba) Wheat Kings. Brooks Laich (Washington Capitals) and Chris Osgood (Detroit Red Wings) both played for the Thunderbirds back in the day. Bryan McCabe (ex-Toronto Maple Leafs, now Florida Panthers) played for the Wheat Kings. Oh, yeah and there was a fight!



Thnunderbirds lost 4-1.

This post will be updated as my trip progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment