Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Dream Theater's Songwriting

The next Dream Theater album, A Dramatic Turn of Events, comes out on September 13. It will be the first album without Mike Portnoy on it. I wondered how much of their songs he actually does contribute to, and if it will make any difference in how the songs will come out. In the free time I used to have several months ago, I made this chart. I'm just now getting around to posting it.



Clearly this is by no means a perfect was to determine Portnoy's impact on Dream Theater's songwriting. Nonetheless, Portnoy contributed to a vast majority of the music. However, Petrucci has been writing the majority of the lyrics for a while. Portnoy only got into the lyric writing heavily when he could add his own singing parts that pretty much ruin every song they're in. So, I'm glad to be rid of his vocal parts.

Now I just hope the new album is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment