Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Am I That Threatening On The Ice?

Last night was our playoff game for the spring season. I drew 3 penalties. Apparently I'm so threatening that the other team needs to take me out by any means necessary.

  • First, I had a breakaway where one of their defenders took me out. I landed on all pads and slid into the boards. They called 2 minutes for hooking (I think -- I haven't seen the official box score).
  • Later I was going after the puck in their zone and was checked from behind. 2 minutes.
  • Finally, in the third, I was high sticked in the face. (Or the cage, rather.) Another 2 minutes.

This is the second game in a row where I was more or less targeted by the other team's players.

In the previous game, I was playing defense and even more things happened to me:

  • I was checked after the whistle and landed hard on my hip. That took a little while to feel better. No call.
  • I was hooked a little later in their zone. No call.
  • In a situation just like last time, the puck went to the boards and me and this guy went after it. He fucking slashed my stick so I pushed him hard and steadily into the boards, which is perfectly legal because we were both there and he was covering the puck. Then one of their other guys comes and checks me. I got up and screamed "What the fuck is wrong with you, you fucking asshole?!?!" He said "I didn't like what you were doing to my guy." "This is a fucking non-checking league!" "You were--" "(mocking) You were wah wah wah wah FUCK YOU!" and I skated to the bench. He got a 2-minute roughing penalty. I'm told he was trying to kick me with his skate, too.
  • Shortly thereafter, while I was on  the bench, this one asshole checks our best player in open ice. No call. The period ends and he starts yelling at one of our guys near our bench about it. I got up and yelled "Shut the fuck up, go back to your bench, and sit the fuck down!" He looks up and skates to the bench and comes up to our alternate captain and said real quietly, "What did you say to me?" I said "It was me and I told you to sit the fuck down, asshole!" Before he could do anything, the ref comes over and makes him go sit down.
  • Later I got slashed in the shin just below my shin pad. I couldn't skate for a few minutes. No call. Still hurts.
I refused to shake their hands. It's the first time I've ever done that.

I really don't think I'm such an amazing player that I need to be taken out at this level. I had 4 shots in both the last games combined. Only 1 of them was any good.

I'm usually leading the forecheck and I will cover the man on the point, which will occasionally lead to a breakaway, but that's really what any wing should be doing.

Frankly the two teams mentioned above shouldn't be in the D league. They both have several ringers that should be playing 2 leagues above us. We hold them off as best we can, but it does get frustrating in the long run. I'm looking forward to the winter season when the teams have been evened out a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment