Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Signing a Credit Card

I was speaking to one of the less-than-smart members of humanity once about the importance of signing the back of a credit card. In theory, the signature on the back of your card should match the signature on the receipt. This way, people "can't" steal your card unless they can also forge your signature. But in reality, pretty much no one checks the back of the card. Plus, a lot of people don't bother so sign it (and who really cares anyway?).

I like to write SEE ID very noticably on the card. That way, the 1 in 50 cashiers who look at the back of the card will actually ask for my ID. If the card was stolen, the theif will no doubt say "I forgot my ID" and the cashier will process the transaction anyway. But nonetheless, I do make it a point to write SEE ID on the card.

When this logic was presented to the moron I mentioned in the first sentence up there, Captain Stupid responded with, "Oh, I just don't sign it. When they see there's no signature, they will ask for my ID."

Deep breath.

IF I WERE TO STEAL YOUR CARD THE FIRST THING I'M DOING IS SIGNING IT! If you don't sign your card, then whatever, but if you purposefully don't sign it because you think it makes it theft-proof, then you should just live on an island somewhere and don't bother anybody. You're obviously too stupid to function.

While we're on the subject, why do self checkouts at grocery stores force you to sign on that tablet thingy? It doesn't matter what you write. God has been buying my groceries for years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment