Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Alabama

Last month, I went to scenic, beautiful Mobile, Alabama!

This is Mobile, AL's actual skyline. ...You can stop laughing now.

I saw the sight there. (Yeah, there's only one.) The USS Alabama (BB-60). It was a World War II-era battleship. (Interesting fact: They filmed parts of Under Siege on it.)
It's got everything from giant guns of death...
...to what must have been the worst thing about WWII.
That's right. Sailors had to poop into troughs while sitting on two planks of wood in a doorless half-stall. What you can't see in this picture is that the half-stalls all face another stall, so you had the added bonus of watching the dude in front of you, too!
At least the sleeping arrangements were ni-- OH GOD! Now I know why they call beds on ships "racks". Nowadays, they have the much more comforting name of "coffin racks". As horrible as they are, at least they're not like this!

It is quite an epic buoyant deathbringer!

Later on, on the way to Mississippi, I saw this:

That chalkboard says "THIS PoLiTicain Don'T Lie" (sic). This... thing... was on a property along with a doubletall trailer. It looked like the landowner built a lower level himself, mostly out of plywood, then stacked his mobile home on top of it. I didn't get a picture of it because I was fleeing for my life at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment