Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Caffeine

I'm tired of having the caffeine argument about tea. Black tea has more caffeine than soda, goddamnit! White tea and green tea has less.

I try to avoid drinking lots of soda in the morning, but sometimes that's just the way things go. On the mornings I drink tea I end up wired out of my head. It doesn't help that I drink lots more tea than coke on the days I switch.

Part of the reason is that when it starts to get cold, I chug that motherfucker. Then I'll reach for it again later to discover my cup being empty, so I have to go get more.

And I hate iced tea so don't even suggest it.

So anyway my coworker doesn't think I should be as wired as I am just because of tea. "Oh come on, you only had tea." Shut up.

Let's do the math!




coffee/tea cup size = 525 mm^3 = 16 oz (close enough)
Amount of caffeine/8 oz of tea = 50mg
(source: http://www.bigelowtea.com/help/faqdetail.cfm?faq=8)

Per mug of tea, there is 50-100 mg of caffeine.

I had 4 cups of tea this morning => 200-400mg of caffeine

Now, had I stuck to Coke or Pepsi:
There are 23mg of caffeine per 8oz Coke and 25mg per 8oz Pepsi. (Mountainn Dew, btw, has 36mg per 8oz.)

Per can, this works out to 34.5mg for Coke; 37.5mg for Pepsi.

3 Cokes/Pepsis yesterday morning = 103.5/112.5mg

Just for contrast, let's investigate coffee...

Instant coffee: 62mg of caffeine per 8oz
Plain, brewed: 95mg of caffeine per 8oz
Starbucks: 165mg of caffeine per 8oz
(source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211)

Damn! I could consume as much caffeine with one Starbucks coffee than I could with 4 teas!

Too bad it tastes like ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment